My work focuses on measuring and understanding complex phenomena in systems that entangle human behaviors and digital platforms. I am interested in Computational Social Science, Data Science, Infectious Disease Dynamics and Digital Epidemiology.
- CIKM workshop on Data and Algorithm Bias in Singapore
- Digital Epidemiology conference at the University of Hong Kong
- ICDM 2017 workshop on Data science for human performance in social networks
- NetSci 2017 satellite workshop on Machine Learning in Network Science
- session on Data Science at the Service of Philanthropy at the European Foundation Centre 2017 conference in Warsaw
- Data for Social Good and International Development: a workshop series in Torino and Milano
- new paper in EPJ Data Science: Predicting human mobility through the assimilation of social media traces into mobility models
- new paper in BMC Infectious Diseases: School closure policies at municipality level for mitigating influenza spread: a model-based evaluation
- new paper in BMC Infectious Diseases: Contact diaries versus wearable proximity sensors in measuring contact patterns at a conference: method comparison and participants’ attitudes
- new paper in EPJ Data Science: Quantifying social contacts in a household setting of rural Kenya using wearable proximity sensors
I received a PhD in theoretical Physics from the University of Perugia (Italy). After a few experiences in the software industry I worked at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and then moved to the Frontier Research System of the RIKEN Institute (Japan) as a post-doctoral Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. After three years in Tokyo, I was awarded a grant at the "Centro Studi e Ricerche Enrico Fermi" and I moved to Roma, where I was affiliated to the Physics Department of the Sapienza University of Roma. In 2008 I joined the ISI Foundation, where I currently lead the Data Science Laboratory. From 2010 to 2014 I was Deputy Scientific Director of the ISI Foundation, and since 2014 I serve as the Scientific Director of the Institute.